Sunday, July 13, 2014

Bloggers and What They Have to Bestow on Us Regarding 21st Century Teaching and Learning


Post a reflection or commentary of three separate blogs that focus and reflect on skills related to 21 st Century teaching and learning.

When posed with this task I thought to myself, “How am I going to completing this and find good/meaningful blogs?” My first reaction, and go to answer, “I should type this into Google and see what comes up.” But then I thought, no, I should check out some of the blogs from those 10 Teachers to Follow on Twitter that Richard Byrne suggested adding. That way I could complete the task, and get to know those I am following better. These are the blogs I found:
Liz Bleich Davis
  1. The Power of Educational Technology by Liz B Davis (http://www.edtechpower.blogspot.ca/).
    1. The description she uses for her blog is as follows, “Demonstrating the power of technology to transform learning, energize communities and inspire innovative thinking.”
    2. I love that because she not only has a mission to students and learning, but to her community, and she not only wants to teach it but model it as well.
    3. If you watch her YouTube post for her application to the Google Teacher Academy it gives a great, creative synopsis as to how she is an excellent example of a 21st century teacher and learner.
  2. Angela Maiers by Angela Maiers (http://www.angelamaiers.com/blog).
    1. Angela is an author, speaker, writer, and teacher with the tagline, “Together We Are Smarter!”
    2. She has won many awards as a teacher, blogger, innovator, and speaker. She posts summaries, links, and reflections of interviews, conferences, and her own personal experiences in order that others may gain from her learning. My first impression is she is one who doesn’t hoard the information she gathers, but instead, like any great educator, she is excited and passionate about furthering other people’s understanding, and knowledge.
    3. As I scrolled through her posts, the post titled, “Getting to the Heart of Collaboration” caught my eye since it is an area in which I just took a course. Angela’s reflection on this buzz word was in line with the questions and reflections that our class posed and discovered. It was encouraging to know that an expert in the teaching field was on the same page as us.
  3. The Curious Creative by Tom Barrett (http://edte.ch/blog/).
tombarrett
    1. This blog addresses 21st Century teaching and learning, but my first impression is that he does it from a more philosophical perspective than the others I read through.
    2. It was a blessing to read through his reflection on feedback.

Overall, it has been a beneficial experience to my education to look through these different blogs. Even if one is an expert and has many awards for their blog and work I would use it just as much as I would use others; depending on the 21st Century teaching and learning that I was curious to explore.

2 comments:

  1. Although I follow Richard Byrne I have never seen this top 10 teachers to follow. I am going to have to take a look. My interest is piqued by your comment that Tom Barrett addresses teaching and learning from a philosophic perspective. Being that philosophy, at its most basic translation (I don't speak Greek but have studied several philosophies, western and eastern), means love of knowledge, could one not say that all of theses teachers who are focusing and reflecting on teaching and learning are doing so philosophically. I wonder then, how do you feel Barrett has more of a philosophical perspective than the other two bloggers you posted about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly demonstrate how valuable the internet has been in helping us access PEOPLE (not just tools and information). -Zoe

    ReplyDelete